Due to COVID-19, all services are being offered virtually.
Writing Skills Coaching
Writing is an essential skill that a person needs to succeed in school and in life. One-on-one writing sessions help students build strong writing skills to increase their preparedness for writing at the university level. Instilling a student with the confidence as well as organizational and analytical skills is crucial to his or her success as a student and a writer. Admission Ignition offers personalized writing instruction as a supplemental resource and learning tool to help students improve their writing skills, which will increase their success across all academic subjects.
Writing skills coaching focuses on skill building—NOT tutoring. The following skills are prioritized:
- Backing up claims with evidence and elaborating
- Introducing quotes and outside sources
- Analyzing and unpacking quotes
- Writing clear and effective topic and concluding sentences
- Utilizing proper grammar and punctuation
- Using appropriate transition words and phrases
- Increasing writing ease and fluency
- Reading outside sources and stringing them together to formulate an original argument
- Developing thesis statements
- Writing effective introductory paragraphs
- Finding relevant and appropriate scholarly sources for research papers
Elementary School: FSA Writing, book reports, summer reading reports, SSAT/ISEE essays
Middle School: Five paragraph essays, analytical paragraphs, FSA Writing, summer reading reports, SSAT/ISEE essays
High School: Research papers, IB extended essays, AP Capstone Papers, FSA Writing
Study Skills Coaching helps students learn how to study for exams more efficiently. Students will learn how to get the most out of their reading materials by utilizing color-coded highlighting. They will also learn to properly utilize all parts of a textbook as to take good notes.
College Coaching includes support with research paper writing as well as time management and study skills. Students will learn how to take advantage of campus resources such as The Office of Disability Services, Health Center, Academic Tutoring Center, and professors’ office hours. College coaching helps to facilitate a smooth adjustment to college life and a sense of self-advocacy.
Job and Internship Search Coaching helps students stand out by demonstrating their unique qualities and experiences in the application process. Admission Ignition offers assistance with resumes, cover letters, and interview preparation.